“Oh my goodness, you have so many things!” exclaimed the person who first stepped foot in my dorm room.
Actually, it wasn’t just one person. Anyone who peeked their head in my room had the same comment: “You have so much stuff!”
I liked to think it was a compliment. Yes, I had lots of things. But they were cute things that I arranged nicely in an extremely tiny room.
Part of the issue with having so many books, decorations, lamps and any other college necessities is space. Extension cords became my savior. This past year, I had a piece of furniture covering every single outlet my teeny tiny room offered--and an extension cord peeking out of every end. I relied heavily on these magnificent creations, as did all of my friends. Extension cord safety was far from my mind.
So you can imagine my devastation when I was told that the one amazing contraption that made my dorm living so much simpler could actually be dangerous. What do you mean the Electrical Safety Foundation International says they’re responsible for 4,000 injuries and 3,300 home fires every year? You must be mistaken. Not my precious extension cords!
After some research (and a few days of denial), I must admit that extension cords pose many risks when used improperly. And I was guilty of not using them properly.
Chances are you aren’t either. So what can you do? Here are some extension cord safety tips to keep your dorm room--or wherever you call home--safe.
Dorm living may get a little bit more difficult without all my extension cords. But when looking at the risks associated with using extension cords the wrong way, it’s just not worth it. Next order of business: talking to my school about adding some more outlets to the rooms!